Monday 3 August 2015

Emos, Death Metal and Misconceptions

So, I would count myself as an emo. I class an emo as someone who listens to a certain genre of music and dresses the correct way. Not that there is a 'correct' way to dress, but you know what I mean. I would say that an emo listens to rock music (and anything like metal and upwards) and dressed in darker clothes (blacks and greys). (Also, by the way DAMN YOU AMERICAN SPELLING OF GREY!!!!!!!!) Emos are misjudged nowadays. Not as much as they used to be, but they still are. People still think we all are emotional train-wrecks, listen to people screaming down a microphone and are all Satan worshippers.
(Quick side-note, The other day, I had someone ask me if I was a satanist. I don't know why. It was on Instagram, so it could have been some of my posts, but I don't actually know. But seriously?!?!?!)
We don't all worship Satan. I don't even believe in any sort of deity, so I couldn't be a devil worshipper, because I don't believe in the devil. We aren't all emotional train-wrecks. I have two friends with depression that I wouldn't class as emos. One is trying hard to be, but failing. I have one who I would say is an emo and has depression. But then there are all the people who don't have depression and are emos. There are an awful lot of them. We don't all self-harm and are not all suicidal.
And then we come to the music side of things. You don't have to listen to screamo/death metal or metal at all to be an emo. You can listen to Panic! At The Disco and still be an emo. P!ATD is pop-rock/pop depending on which song you listen to. What most people perceive as music for emos to listen to is death metal.
Death metal (mainly) consists of death metal screams and death metal growls. Screams are with lyrics and are intelligible, depending on the song, artist and person listening. But the best part is, it doesn't have to be intelligible. You can listen to the feeling in the screams, not the screams as words. It is how a lot of people can roughly understand death metal without understanding the words. Death metal growls are just screamy noises made to put emotion into the song.
People say that death metal is rubbish because you can't understand the lyrics. What song was really big a while ago. Oh yeah... Gangnam style. Could western audiences who didn't understand the lyrics like the song? Hell yes. They loved it. How is death metal any different. Oh, people do it because they can't sing, do they? That's why it's different?
No. It's not. Death metal vocals are hard to get right. Believe me, I have tried. In fact, I am still practicing. There is plenty of skill involved in death metal vocals. Especially if you wish to keep your voice. Death metal is one of the most taxing styles of singing.
But you know what's impressive? Eminem in 'Rap God'. You know what's more impressive? This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAS5Ja0YzT8

No comments:

Post a Comment